Health Care Needs Policy
Date: March 2018
To ensure that Merriang Special Developmental School provides appropriate support to students with health care needs.
To explain to Merriang Special Developmental School parents, carers, staff and students the processes and procedures in place to support students with health care needs at school.
This policy should be read with Merriang Special Developmental School’s First Aid Procedure, Care Arrangements for Ill Students Procedure, Administration of Medication, Anaphylaxis and Asthma policies.
- To provide appropriate support to students at Merriang SDS who may need medical care or assistance
- To provide a Student Health Support Plan in consultation with the student, their parents, carers and treating medical practitioners.
- To ensure that students with complex medical care needs, for example, tracheostomy care, seizure management or tube feeding, have a current Student Health Support Plan.
- To provide appropriate staff with specific training to meet the student’s particular needs.
At enrolment or when a health care need is identified, parents/carers should provide accurate information about the student’s condition or health care needs, ideally documented by the student’s treating medical/health care practitioner on a Medical Advice Form (or relevant equivalent)
Where necessary, Merriang SDS may also request consent from parents and carers to consult with a student’s medical practitioners, to assist in preparing the plan and ensure that appropriate school staff understand the student’s needs.
Student Health Support plans help our school to assist students with:
- Routine health care support needs, such as supervision or provision of medication
- Personal care support needs, such as assistance with personal hygiene, continence care, eating and drinking, transfers and positioning, and use of health-related equipment
- Emergency care needs, such as predictable emergency first aid associated with asthma, seizure or diabetes management.
Student Health Support Plans will be reviewed:
- when updated information is received from the student’s medical practitioner
- when the school, student or parents and carers have concerns with the support being provided to the student
- if there are changes to the support being provided to the student, or
- on an annual basis.
Management of confidential medical information
Confidential medical information provided to Merriang SDS to support a student will be:
- recorded on the student’s file
- shared with all relevant staff so that they are able to properly support students diagnosed with medical conditions and respond appropriately if necessary.
- School Policy and Advisory Guide:
- Medication Policy
- First Aid Procedures
- Care Arrangements for Ill Students Procedure
- This policy will be reviewed as part of the school’s three year cycle or as new guidelines are released.
Review date: March 2020