School Bus Policy
Date: November 2017
Students at Merriang SDS participate in a range of curriculum programs that require they travel in a school owned small bus. On occasions there is a need for larger buses to be hired to transport students to and from a range of venues.
Last Update: 14 April 2014
- To ensure school buses are safely maintained according to the Road Safety Regulations 2009, Bus Safety Act and Bus Safety Regulations.
- To ensure all staff who drive the school owned bus comply with driver’s licensing requirements.
- To ensure all staff comply with the Bus Safety Act, Bus Safety Regulations and Road Safety Regulations (2009).
- obtain the prior approval of the regional director before purchasing a vehicle see the Motor Vehicle Guidelines for Schools (2011) under: School Financial Guidelines
- not acquire a bus with an adult seating capacity of twenty-one or more passengers
- be accredited with the Public Transport Safety Victoria if they own a passenger vehicle with more than ten seats (including the driver)
- ensure vehicles they hire, use or own that seat up to twelve passengers have seat belts or restraints for children under 7 years of age, see Child restraints
- maintain roadworthy vehicles and ensure repairs are completed as soon as possible by a qualified mechanic
- ensure vehicles they own are annually inspected by a licensed bus tester in accordance with the Road Safety Regulations 2009, Bus Safety Act and Bus Safety Regulations..
- meet all costs of purchase and maintenance of the vehicle
- only hire accredited, insured and roadworthy vehicles.
Principals must ensure that school bus drivers hold a correct and current driver’s licence and if appropriate driver’s certificate. Students must not drive buses under any circumstances
- VicRoads is responsible for the licensing of drivers in Victoria and provide advice on the types of licences required to drive a variety of vehicles including buses used for school excursions and other events, see Licence Categories
- Staff driving the school bus must have a current full licence.
Drivers of the bus must adhere to all road regulations, the Bus Safety Act and Bus Safety Regulations at all times.
- In accordance with the Bus Safety Act, drivers of a bus must not have alcohol or drugs present in his or her blood or breath immediately before, or while driving a bus and must comply with any guidelines regarding the form and content of alcohol and drug management policies issued by the Safety Director.
- Bus Safety Act 2011
- Bus Safety Regulations
- Road Safety Act 1986
- Road Safety Regulations 2009
- Working with Children Act 2005
- See Transport Safety Victoria (TSV) for:
Last Update: 14 April 2014
- This policy will be reviewed as part of the school’s three year cycle.
Ratified at School Council November 2017
Review date: November 2020